• Specialist in Preschool and Primary co-education
• Expert in individualised learning
• Values-based educational philosophy
• Outstanding co-curricular programme
• Unique rural campus in the Southern Highlands of NSW
The primary years of a child’s educational experience are crucial in establishing a positive attitude towards life and learning. At Gib Gate highly skilled educators carefully track individual student progress, supporting and extending students to achieve specific learning goals. Class, Learning Support and Gifted and Talented expert teachers work together to plan learning experiences corraboratively, designing programmes to meet individual needs that are engaging and meaningful for students. Aspects of a student’s individualised learning programme may include:
- Differentiating the core programme
- One-on-one support in literacy and/or numeracy
- Small group learning support and extension
- Vertical groupings across Year groups in relevant subjects
- Specific subject acceleration
- Full grade acceleration as required
As well as providing opportunities for developing a strong sense of community and for values to be shared and reinforced, the rich programme of special interests and activities also provides substantial academic and other learning benefits which include:
- access to a well-resourced Library / Information Centre
- Multi-age projects for gifted and talented students
- Preparation for High School days
- Individual study plans supported by a teacher mentor
- Development of life-long interests
- A culture of mutual support and encouragement
Gib Gate has the advantage of being able to work with students from 3 years of age ensuring a smooth transition to the start of formal schooling in Kindergarten. The Preschool programme, which draws on the Reggio Emilia philosophy of early childhood education, engages children in in-depth investigations of the world around them focussing on building early phonemic and numeracy skills in an engaging and meaningful context.
Located in a purpose built-facility within the grounds of the School, the preschool environment balances light-filled indoor spaces with a Reggio Emilia inspired outdoor classroom. As a community of learners, children, staff and parents work collaboratively on short-term and long-term investigations centred around the children’s interests and explored through the use of imaginative play, visual art, drama, music and movement.
Throughout the Pre-Kindergarten programme, each child’s progress is carefully tracked against key developmental milestones. Parents are invited to attend two formal interviews to review their child’s progress each year. Children and staff compile individual portfolios documenting experiences through photographs, recorded dialogue and selections of children’s work.
Winifred West, the School’s founder, had a deep love of nature and believed that its beauty nourished the inner spirit. At Gib Gate, beautiful and extensive grounds create a peaceful, special place which uplifts and inspires.
Playing fields and gardens accommodate both active and reflective outdoor pursuits. The natural bush and pond area provides a particular focus for environmental-science investigation undertaken by students, preparing them to care about and contribute to the local environment.